Before my leaky gut was healed and Hashimoto’s reined supreme, I couldn’t eat cheese. CHEESE, I say!…one of the best foods on the planet, in my opinion. It was a bit devastating for me to give up dairy at first and I missed out on too many delicious grilled cheese sandwiches. Now that my gut is healed and I’m able to enjoy cheese again, I set out on a mission to perfect the grilled cheese sandwich.
What I’ve figured out?
Grilled Cheese goes great with EVERYTHING….
You can stuff your sandwich with:
- cherry preserves
- or artichokes and olives
- or pesto and tomatoes
- or fresh sliced pears
- or whatever you damn well please…
…it almost always works with cheese.
So here’s my basic recipe. Experiment at will!
- Butter, softened, 2 tbsp
- Gluten Free Bread, 2 slices
- Raw Goat Milk Cheddar, 2 oz, shredded (I LOVE the smoked goat cheddar, you can really use any cheese of choice)
- Fun ingredients of your choice (think cherry preserves or pesto/tomato or artichoke and olive, or tuna or....)
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Put one slice of bread on a griddle pan (buttered side down)
- Top with shredded cheese
- Top with fun ingredient/s
- Top with other slice of bread (buttered side up)
- Heat griddle pan over medium heat
- Cook sandwich at least 2 minutes on each side or to level of desired brownness